This eighth church of Ii was built in 1949-50, and was designed by architects Strandberg and Hytönen. The beautiful fresco on the altar wall was painted by finnish artist Eero Nelimarkka. The church of Ii has also its own votive ship, which are relatively common in coastal towns especially in the Scandinavian. The practice of displaying model ships in churches stems from the Middle Ages.
Address: Puistotie 2, Ii. Please contact in advance +358 40 848 0078 to confirm visiting times.
This neo-gothic church was built in 1871-74, and was designed by german achitect Ernst Bernhard Lohrmann. The fresco on the altar wall was painted by local artist Iivari Halttu in 1941, and the beautiful chandelier next to the fresco is from the old church from 1778.
Address: Kirkonkyläntie 105, Kuivaniemi. Please contact +358-40-1576 660 to confirm visiting times.
Local history museum
The Ii local history museum is located in the historical center of Ii (Iin Wanha Hamina) next to the church. The original museum building is an old granary from 1862. There is a collection of everyday artefacts for fishing, agriculture, handicrafts and timber rafting in the museum gathered from the municipality.
Address: Puistotie 2, Ii. The museum is open in 1.6.-31.8. Free entry.
Monuments and Statues
The steam sawmill monumet
Finland’s first steam-powered sawmill was founded in 1859-60 in Ii by five businessmen (J.G.Bergbom, J.W.Snellman, F.J. Frantzén, J.S.Hedman and F.Granberg) from Oulu. The operation of this sawmill was ceased in 1908. The chimney has been saved as a monument of the sawmill.Address: Rantakestiläntie, Ii.
Free to visit.
In honor to lumberjacks
Statue is devoted to lumberjacks of Ii-river. It was designed by the famous local artist Sanna Koivisto in 2003.